Recipe: Cottage Pie For the Whole family
For a fairly simple dish, look no further than the rustic roots of the United Kingdom. Cottage pie (also known as shepherd’s pie when the meat is lamb) is a traditional dish cooked by shepherds and farmers.
Because lamb has fallen out of the American palette, most modern cottage pies are made with ground beef. We added in a few additional seasonings to really make the flavors pop in this dish. Keep in mind, this dish is a meal on its own. There is no need to serve it with additional sides.
Cottage Pie Recipe
- 1 1/2lbs lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/3 cup peas
- 1 1/2lbs to 2lbs potatoes.
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- Peel and quarter the potatoes. Boil in lightly salted water for about 20 minutes (or until tender).
- Meanwhile, melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large frying pan.
- Saute the onions and carrots in the butter until tender (about 10 minutes).
- Add the ground beef and saute until well browned.
- Add salt and pepper to taste with Worcestershire sauce, beef broth, thyme, rosemary, and cornstarch.
- Cook uncovered over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure it’s well mixed.
- In a bowl, mash the potatoes with the remaining butter, minced garlic, and salt to taste.
- Place beef and vegetable mixture in the bottom of a baking dish. Distribute the mashed potatoes on top. Feel free to use a fork to make interesting patterns in the mashed potatoes.
- Distribute the shredded cheese on top.
- Bake in the oven until bubbling and brown on top (about 30 minutes). For a slightly more crusty top, broil for the last few minutes.
Recipe adapted from Simply Recipes
Posted on August 24, 2014, in Recipes and tagged beef broth, Cottage Pie Recipe, cottage-pie, easy recipes., ground beef, recipe, Recipe: Cottage Pie For the Whole family, recipes, shepherd's pie, traditional dish. Bookmark the permalink. Comments Off on Recipe: Cottage Pie For the Whole family.